Home Page


Applying for a school place in-year 2018/19 - Guidance Notes


An in-year admission is when a child needs an immediate school place during the school year.  There are two main reasons for this.  You might be moving house or unhappy with your child's current school.




To apply for a place at a school outside of Hampshire, you must contact the school or the local authority there..


Please bear in mind that if you are offered a place, you will be expected to take it up within four school weeks from the offer date.  Exceptionally, applications requesting a September 2019 start will be considered from 11th June 2019 and if a place is available it will be held for the child to start in September 2019.


How to make an in-year application


You can apply online for a place at any Hampshire School using the web address below.  You must send any supporting documents, such as evidence of a new address to the school.


Paper forms are available from schools on request.  Completed paper forms should be returned to the school.


If you are moving house, evidence of your new address must be sent to the school . Proof of exchange of contracts or a signed tenancy agreement, along with evidence that you have surrendered your current property, such as proof of sale or that the rental agreement has ended will normally be accepted. The processing of your application may be delayed until the required address evidence is received.  The County Council may investigate the residence details you provide.  An offer of a place may be withdrawn if you provide false information.


For UK service personnel, with official proof of posting to Hampshire and a relocation date, a Unit postal address, a quartering address or future home address will be accepted as the address for the application.  This evidence must be sent to the preferred school. The processing of your application may be delayed until the required evidence is received.


Children 'in care' Applications on behalf of a child in care must be completed by the child's Social Worker.  Applications cannot be accepted from the child's carers.  Social Workers are advised to contact the County Admissions Team for advice.


Children 'in care'  are defined as those who are (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see the definition in section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989). 


Children 'Previously in care' are defined for the purposes of the legislation as those who immediately after being in care became subject to an adoption, child arrangement/residence, orspecial guardianship order. One of the following must be attached to your application as evidenceof your child’s status:


- an adoption order under section 46 of the Adoption and Children act 2002 or section 12 of the Adoption Act 1976; or

- a child arrangements/residence order settling the arrangements to be made as to the person with whom the child is to live under section 8 of the Children Act 1998; or
- a special guardianship order appointing one or more individuals to be a child's specialguardian(s), under section 14A of the Children Act 1989.


Children of staff’ refers to situations where the staff member is the natural parent, the legal guardian or a resident step parent. ‘Staff’ includes all those on the payroll of the school who have,
(i) been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made, or (ii) have been recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.


Receiving the decision


Schools will aim to respond in writing within 10 school days.


  • If you are offered a place, speak to the school to arrange a start date.


  • If you are refused a place, your child will be added to the waiting list.  You will also have the right of appeal against the decision. 


Help finding a school


If you need help finding a school place, please contact the County Admissions Team.  The County Admissions Team can advise you about the nearest school with a place.


County Admissions Team, Children's Services Department, The Castle, Winchester, SO23 8UG.

Phone:  0300 555 1377 or e-mail . 


If you need this document in large print, translated, on audio cassette or in Braille, please contact The County Admissions Team on 0300 555 1377.